and for when a cartridge version
It's a Pico-8 Battle Royale! Well sort of anyway...
Thrown on to a big island chock full of weapons, it's every man/cat/alien for themselves! Play either you vs 19 others or watch as 20 AI controlled opponents duke it out amongst themselves.
Mostly an experiment with some snazzy AI improvements over stuff done in Skyrogue. The game technically supports 100 npcs fine, at least until they all start congregating together (then things grind to a halt!)
Has a few bugs: NPCs sometimes forget what they were doing, either standing still forever until someone shoots them or the game crashes, or confusingly hop about after killing the currently focused player. Might revisit and untangle it in the future to see if I can up the player number!
Pretty much at the Pico 8 token limit, although a lot of that was debug visualisation for paths, AI state, fov etc.
|Arrow Keys||Movement, menu selection|
|Z||Select, pickup weapon|
Created for Ludum Dare 45 but overran by a few days on account of time available and faffing about with AI. Made in mostly what hours I could find in the evenings over 4 days from scratch.
- Your Hands: Pretty useless.
- Pistol: Decent range but low fire rate.
- Shotgun: Excellent close range damage but slow reload.
- Machine Gun: Inaccurate but good range and rate of fire.
- Sniper Rifle: Instant kill and fast, but excessive reload time requires careful aiming.
- RPG: Not actually explosive, but high damage at least!
- Laser: Slow moving but high damage projectiles.
- Minigun: Like a beefed up Machine Gun.
- Wand: Like a beefed up Laser.
- Once the game gets to 5 players, indicators will start showing nearby opponents to aid finding them.
- Pickup Med Kits to heal back to full health - there should be plenty scattered around.
Unzip and run!